People on the registry have a unique story to tell. Also, people on the registry have a right to be heard.
The staff of NCRSOL has been approached by an attorney with a specific request to gather as many stories about the registry as possible. The purpose of this is to demonstrate “how the registry impacted your life”?
The purpose of the letter campaign is to submit as many letters as possible to a judge to hopefully sway the court to overturn the registry or parts of the registry. But this task starts with anyone currently on the sex offender registry.
First, the criteria:
- You must be convicted of a sexual offense in North Carolina,
- You must be on the NC Sex Offender Registry,
- You must be able to provide your real name for the story, (we won’t publish your story online)
- You should provide an email and phone number where the attorney can contact you at a later time, (this information will remain confidential)
- The information will NOT be published online, on a website, or for commercial purposes. Your story could be read to a judge to describe “life on the registry” and how it has created barriers in your life.
- Your story must be completely honest. Do not embellish. Use as many facts as possible. (ie. Cannot attend family graduation, cannot attend church, cannot attend library, cant go swimming, cannot go to a McDonalds, cannot drive a bus, unable to use social media such as Facebook, cannot live in a house because of residential restrictions, people use the registry to harass you, the registry has been a tool to harass family in the home, etc…). Information where the registry has impacted you,
- Tell your story boldly of why the registry has turned your life upsidedown. Be completely honest about every detail, date, and event.
- You do not need to tell the story of what or why you landed on the registry. The attorney only wants to hear “how the registry has affected you” from being unable to do things or restrictions that have stopped your day to day routines that you did before the registry.
- We require your story no later than May 15th, 2020,
- Your story must be signed and dated.
Please mail your typed or neatly handwritten letter to the following:
North Carolina RSOL
Attn: Attorney letter project
PO Box 25423
Raleigh, NC 27611